A contact in Skype for Business has a presence of unavailable or unknown.
When Skype for Business cannot determine a contact's status, their presence may be displayed as "Unknown" and may have a white indicator. A contact's status may be unavailable for any of the following reasons:
- The contact's address has been incorrectly entered.
- The network is unavailable or is experiencing problems.
- The user does not exist in the TTU Unified Communications system.
- The user is in a different organization or on a public IM network (e.g., Skype consumer version).
1) Check to make sure you have a network connection. A good test is checking to see if you can sign in to eRaider Account Manager.
2) If your contact is a TTU Unified Communications user, check with them to make sure they can sign into Skype for Business successfully. This will ensure that they have a working account.
3) Check with your contact to be sure that you are using the correct address for their IM. For TTU users, the IM address should be the same as their TechMail address.
You will be able to view the status of the user as long as they are a TTU Unified Communications user and there is a network connection to the server.