How to: Remove or change your prefix in student or employment records


1) For employees, contact Human Resources or your department's employment services coordinator. For students, contact the Office of the Registrar.

2) After the update is done in Banner, wait overnight for other systems to update.

3) If there are still areas that are showing the old prefix, contact ITĀ Help Central, explaining where the old prefix is displaying. Some systems may need a manual refresh.

Your prefix will be removed and/or updated.